How to Keep Your Atlanta Home Cool During Summer
Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping the air in your home cool, which means that any time you allow heat to come back in to home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than need be. While the air conditioner is your main source for cooler air, there are a number of things you can do, outside of air conditioner service, to help keep the Atlanta heat out and help your air conditioner survive through the final days of summer.
Here are seven tips from Peachtree Service Experts to help keep hot air out of your home:
- Block out the sun. A lot of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by utilizing solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At minimum, buy blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The spaces in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Take a look in your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can arrange for a complete comfort performance assessment for you to uncover leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Inspect your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that might be torn or showing signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven generate a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave as an alternative to your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that could produce heat for evenings after the temperature outside goes down. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and let those appliances rest.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help protect from the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also give you shade and repel some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The greatest impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After hearing about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the best option may simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is maintaining cool temperatures despite following the tips we noted, it may mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to make sure your equipment is working properly and that you are getting optimal efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than need be. Give Peachtree Service Experts in Atlanta or set up an appointment online to have a professional check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s working as it should be.