Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing weird noises when your air conditioner is working? There’s likely something wrong with your AC. If you don’t pay attention to it, it could lead to major—and expensive—troubles eventually. We’re going to help you figure out what’s going on with your air conditioner and what you can do to fix it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling – Gurgling normally indicates a complication with your refrigerant line. If you can’t identify where the noise is coming from, that’s alright. A technician can help verify where this noise is occurring.
- Crackling – Crackling could be due to debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will create a noise outside your house. Mature ductwork can cause noise inside your house.
- Hissing – Hissing sounds coming from your AC can be caused by a damanged refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor.
- Buzzing – Buzzing is no doubt an electrical issue.
- Clicking – Clicking can indicate you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned.
- Pulsating – Pulsating can come from a loose part.
- Loud Noise – A loud noise from your outdoor unit can indicate an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler.
- Humming – Humming can begin with fan motor issues or a busted relay switch. Head to our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find further information about common air conditioning issues on energy.gov
Should I keep using my air conditioner when it’s making a noise?
There are some cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It’s hard to answer this question without inspecting your system.
Most of the time, we recommend shutting off the unit off and bringing in a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you think there’s an issue with your air conditioner. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected expense, it’s best to get problems taken care of right away. Calling a professional could help minimize future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please schedule online for a free, in-home consultation.
Zoning Systems: Control the Temperature in Every Room
Central heating and air systems have radically changed home comfort and made it possible to stay completely cozy in any season or climate. But while centralized systems are a handy way to regulate the temperature, they at times fall short when it comes to evenly distributing heated or cooled air... Continue reading
Eight Upgrades to Boost Your Home HVAC System
During the coldest time of the year in the U.S., there’s no better way to improve your home’s comfort than with some effective upgrades. It’s not just about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about boosting efficiency and improving the very air you breathe.... Continue reading
How to Find an Effective HVAC System
In terms of keeping your home comfortable year-round, nothing is more critical than choosing the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This determination impacts your daily comfort, monthly utility costs and all-around home efficiency. However, with so many system types,... Continue reading