Benefits of Annual Furnace Maintenance
As the temperature drops and you find yourself reaching for the thermostat more and more, you should also reach for your phone to arrange annual furnace maintenance. Being sure that your furnace runs optimally this winter enhances your comfort, safety and peace of mind all season long.
Here’s a closer look at what this crucial yearly task entails and why you shouldn’t neglect it.
What Is Included in Annual Furnace Maintenance?
A maintenance appointment is a surefire way to get your heating system ready for the cold months. Although the particular tasks depend on the type and age of your unit, you can normally expect your technician to complete the following:
- Examine and clean the burner: Over the years, dirt and debris can clog the burner, affecting its performance. Cleaning it restores optimal heat transfer.
- Test the gas valves: Ensuring these valves are completely open and working correctly is crucial for safe furnace operation.
- Check the heat exchanger: A cracked heat exchanger can result in carbon monoxide leaks, so it’s crucial to make sure no cracks are present.
- Review and tighten electrical elements: Loose connections can make your system unsafe and inefficient. Thankfully, tightening them is a fast and easy job.
- Clean the blower: A grimy blower impacts your furnace’s ability to circulate warm air throughout your home. Cleaning and balancing the fan ensures optimal airflow.
- Replace the air filter: Clean air filters allow necessary airflow throughout your system, which is why you should always replace a clogged air filter in your furnace. Installing a clean, new air filter also increases indoor air quality if you install an efficient enough filtration system.
Why You Should Schedule Regular Furnace Maintenance
If your furnace appears to be running fine, is it still helpful to set up a maintenance appointment? Consider these four reasons why the answer is a resounding “yes”:
- Decrease mid-season breakdowns: Few things are more discouraging than waking up on a chilly winter morning to discover your furnace has stopped working. Unexpected breakdowns are stressful and can leave you scrambling to find a repairman. Annual furnace maintenance reduces the chance of unexpected issues because your service tech looks over every part of your system, catching minor issues before they grow into costly repairs.
- Less expensive repair costs: It’s a simple equation—the sooner you discover a problem, the less expensive it is to correct. By investing in affordable, scheduled maintenance visits, you can avoid costly, inconvenient repairs, keeping more money in your pocket.
- Maximize your furnace’s life expectancy: Like a well-maintained car, a furnace that receives routine tune-ups will likely last longer than an ignored heating system. Annual maintenance saves you the expense of premature furnace replacement by increasing your system’s life span.
- Increase energy efficiency: A well-maintained heating system runs more efficiently. When all the elements are clean and in good working order, your system doesn’t have to work as hard to keep your household warm. This reduces your heating bills and lessens your environmental impact.
- Enhance indoor air quality: Polluted indoor air worsens allergies and respiratory diseases. The air filter in your furnace catches dust, pollen and other airborne particles to reduce these issues. During a maintenance tune-up, the technician will change the air filter at your request, ensuring cleaner air circulates through your home.
- Boosts safety: A failing furnace is not only inefficient, there’s a chance it also might be dangerous. Cracked heat exchangers or faulty gas valves can cause potentially deadly carbon monoxide leaks. Knowing your system has has received a thorough examination during routine maintenance should give you peace of mind this winter.
What Time of Year Should You Set up Your Maintenance Visit?
To reap the most benefits, it’s best to arrange annual furnace maintenance in the fall before winter’s chill gets to your area. This is a way to make sure any issues are addressed before you need to rely heavily on your heating system.
DIY Furnace Maintenance Between Formal Visits
Although professional maintenance is important, you can complete several tasks yourself to keep your furnace running smoothly between visits:
- Change the air filter every 30 to 90 days to increase airflow.
- Keep all return and supply registers open and unobstructed for system balance.
- Vacuum the exterior of the furnace with the brush attachment to keep it clean.
Choose Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing for Furnace Maintenance in the U.S.
If it’s time for your next furnace maintenance visit, Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing is a heating and cooling team you can trust. Our ACE-certified technicians provide fast, long-lasting answers to all your furnace and air conditioning problems. We’re proud to deliver solutions to our customers and are dedicated to making a significant difference in your lifestyle and sense of comfort. We even give our customers a 100% satisfaction guarantee so you can feel even more comfortable. To set your heating system up for success this winter, call 866-397-3787 today to schedule furnace maintenance with Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing.
Zoning Systems: Control the Temperature in Every Room
Central heating and air systems have radically changed home comfort and made it possible to stay completely cozy in any season or climate. But while centralized systems are a handy way to regulate the temperature, they at times fall short when it comes to evenly distributing heated or cooled air... Continue reading
Eight Popular Heating Fallacies Debunked
There are many myths out there about home heating that create confusion and inefficient furnace use. It’s time to clear up these common misconceptions. Here, the heating professionals at Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing get to the bottom of the eight most common myths to... Continue reading
Eight Upgrades to Boost Your Home HVAC System
During the coldest time of the year in the U.S., there’s no better way to improve your home’s comfort than with some effective upgrades. It’s not just about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about boosting efficiency and improving the very air you breathe.... Continue reading