What Happens When You Don’t Change Your Furnace’s Air Filter
One of the most basic issues that we hear about at Stallion Heating and Air Conditioning in Philadelphia is dusty air filters. They may seem like a very insignificant piece of the whole home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us control comfort is a lot bigger than most homeowners notice. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a filthy air filter can cause a number of issues for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you forget to switch out your air filter? Here are a just a few of the side effects you may encounter:
- Diminished airflow. This is easily the largest problem you’ll note when your home’s air filter is severely clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being changed, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this inhibits air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working a lot harder to leave you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is running harder because of a clogged air filter, you also run the risk of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s running overtime to give you cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a threat if your air filter goes unchanged for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something breaks or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off all the time. When your system short cycles, it may overheat or break down from the added work, which could end up causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A shortened equipment lifecycle
- Decreased energy efficiency
- Lower air quality
- Greater dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last changed your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to get around any possible damage that could come with a filthy air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the various air filters available, give Stallion Heating and Air Conditioning a call at 215-259-5850 or schedule an appointment online.
Zoning Systems: Control the Temperature in Every Room
Central heating and air systems have radically changed home comfort and made it possible to stay completely cozy in any season or climate. But while centralized systems are a handy way to regulate the temperature, they at times fall short when it comes to evenly distributing heated or cooled air... Continue reading
Eight Popular Heating Fallacies Debunked
There are many myths out there about home heating that create confusion and inefficient furnace use. It’s time to clear up these common misconceptions. Here, the heating professionals at Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing get to the bottom of the eight most common myths to... Continue reading
Eight Upgrades to Boost Your Home HVAC System
During the coldest time of the year in the U.S., there’s no better way to improve your home’s comfort than with some effective upgrades. It’s not just about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about boosting efficiency and improving the very air you breathe.... Continue reading